Built in 1730, by architect Richard Castle for Owen Wynne, this exquisite, but progressively brutalised house superbly located in mature woodland on the banks of the Garavoge River, is one of County Sligo's most neglected treasures. It is a splendid and imposing example of the Palladian-style. In spite of abject neglect and inappropriate alteration, it is testimony to the quality of the building that it has survived relatively intact. An abundance of fine stonework attests to the high quality craftsmanship employed in its construction and pays tribute to those whose vision was responsible for its conception. In addition to its very high quality architectural value the house is important both socially and historically.
House History & Architecture The Wynne Family
The Wynne Family of Hazelwood HouseThe Wynne family established themselves in Sligo in the latter half of the 17th century. They went on to become one of the most dominant forces in political and economic life of Sligo for the next twocenturies.
The Hazelwood Heritage Societyhas for many years worked, and will continue to do so to achieve recognition for Hazelwood House, highlighting the importance of Hazelwood as a part of our built heritageintheNorthWest.PleaseVisitTheirWebsite