Flag Counter
Flag Counter
I wish to purchase a 2018tudent/Unwaged Subscription to the SFC @ €20 I wish to purchase a 2018 Single Subscription to the SFC @ €30 I wish to purchase a 2018 Family Subscription to the SFC @ €20 
Carrowmore
Hazelwood Heritage      Society website
CARROWMORE,   regarded    as    one    of    the    four    major    passage    tomb    complexes    in    the    country.   This   fascinating   congregation      of   neothlitic   tombs    is   also   among   the   oldest    used    passage    tombs,    the   earliest    depositions    approximately   3700   BC.   In   terms   of   the   number   of   monuments,   it   is   also   one   of the largest complexes of megalithic tombs in Ireland. Fortunately thirty monuments still survive. There   may   have   been   more   monuments   in   the   complex   originally,   but   some   fell   victim   to quarrying    and    field    clearances    from    the    18 th     to    20 th     centuries.They    are    the    focal    point    of    a prehistoric   ritual   landscape   which   is   dominated   by   the   mountain   of   Knocknarea   to   the   west   with   the great cairn of Miosgán Médhbh on top. To   the   east   is   Carns   Hill   with   two   large   cairns   overlooking   Lough   Gill,   and   along   the   eastern boundary    of    the    peninsula    the    Ballygawley    Mountains    have    four    passage    tombs    at    their peaks. Gabriel Beranger visited the site in 1779 and illustrated some of the monuments. These   drawings   are   a   valuable   record   of   the   state   of   Carrowmore   at   the   time,   showing   some monuments    now    destroyed    or    damaged.    Early    unrecorded    antiquarian    digs    disturbed    the Carrowmore   tombs,   such   as   conducted   by   local   landlord   Rodger Walker   in   the   19th   century. Walker kept   poor   records   of   his   activities,   and   it   has   been   said   that   his   excavations   were   more   in   the   line   of treasure   hunting.   Some   of   the   material   recovered   is   now   at   Alnwick   castle   in   Northumberland, England
Map for  Carrowmore Megalithic Tombs (Irish: An Cheathrú Mhór, meaning Great Quarter)
Sligo’s Past Places & People A selection of archaeological, historical, cultural and evironmental gems that the Sligo County has in abundance. As well as a few of Sligo’s most eminent historical figures
Hazelwood   House   was   built      by   architect   Richard   Castle   for   Owen Wynne,   this   exquisite,   but   progressively   brutalised   house   superbly located   in   mature   woodland   on   the   banks   of   the   Garavoge   River,   is one   of   County   Sligo's   most   neglected   treasures.   It   is   a   splendid   and imposing   example   of   the   Palladian-style.   It   now   stands   in   its   own 70    acre    grounds,    surrounded    by    woodland    on    the    north    shore Lough   Gill,   and   along   the   Garravogue   in   County   of   Sligo,   Access is   from   the   Dromahair   road.   The   original   estate   of   15,000   acres comprised    woodland,    rivers    and    lakes,    arable    land,    grazing, mountains   and   bog   land. This   stretched   from   Dunee   and   Rockwood mountains     south     of     Lough     Gill     to     Benbulben     and     Glencar Mountain   in   the   North,   and   eastwards   from   the   north   bank   of   the River Garravogue nearly to Manorhamilton,  in Co. Leitrim. The    house    is    a    large    Palladian    mansion    designed    by    the German   architect   Richard   Cassells   in   1722,   nearly   900   years   ago. In   its   day   it   was   a   leading   example   of   a   new   architectural   style,   and today is still a very important Georgian  building. Lt.   Col   Owen Wynne,   whose   forefathers   came   from Wales   after   the Cromwellian   times,   built   the   house.   The   Palladian   model   consists of   a   Central   four   storey   block   with   a   curved   passageway   at   each   of the   two   front   corners,   each   leading   to   a   smaller   square   building   at the   end.   There   was   very   decorative   plasterwork   and   coving   inside the   house,   with   vaulted   ceiling,   circles   of   foliage   and   the   doorcase with   fluted   Ionic   pilasters.   An   impressive   stone   staircase   leads   to the   front   door,   as   well   as   outside   terracing   down   to   the   lawn   at   the back.   Follies   in   the   immediate   wooded   area,   created   employment originally,   and   were   later   enjoyed   by   the   ladies   as   they   strolled through   the   woods.   Wealthy   landowners   in   other   parts   of   Ireland copied and adapted this style for their own estates. The   Wynne   family   owned   extensive   lands   including   a   large estate    centred    around    Lurganboy    near    Manorhamilton    in    Co. Leitrim.   Generations   of   the   Wynne   family   lived   in   succession   in the   house.   The   house   now   stands   empty   and   in   need   of   not   just restoration,   but   to   have   the   roofs   made   watertight.   The   remains   of the   Saehan   plastics   factory   covers   the   site   of   the   original   walled garden. The   local   and   very   active   ‘Hazelwood   Heritage   Society’   is rigorously    directed    towards    the    preservation,    restoration    and upkeep   of   Hazelwood   House   and   its   environs,   ensuring   it   remains   a recreational and cultural asset for the wider community. They    have    website        dedicated    to    the    protection    and    care    of Hazelwood    House    and    Hazelwood    Forest.    Please    click    (above) their logo to visit their site.
Hazelwood House
Lissadell House
Lissadell   House   is   a   neo-classical   Greek   revivalist   style   country   house,   located in   County   Sligo,   Ireland.   The   house   was   built   between   1830   to   1835,   and   inhabited from   1833   onwards,   for   Sir   Robert   Gore-Booth,   4th   Baronet   (1784-1835)   by   London architect   Francis   Goodwin.   In   1876,   Sir   Robert   left   the   house   and   surrounding   estate   to his   son,   Sir   Henry   Gore-Booth,   5th   Baronet.   It   is   constructed   of   Ballysadare   limestone with   finely   jointed   ashlar   walling.   An   entrance   front   is   on   the   north   with   a   three-bay pedimented   central   projection,   originally   open   to   east   and   west   to   form   porte-cochere. Prior   to   its   sale   in   2003   Lissadell   was   the   only   house   in   Ireland   to   retain   its original   Williams   &   Gibton   furniture   which   was   made   especially   for   the   house   and designed   to   harmonise   with   Goodwin's   architectural   vision.   Lissadell's   was   the   first country house in Ireland to have an independent gas supply piped into the property. The   house   is   located   on   the   south   shore   of   the   Magherow   peninsula   in   north   County Sligo   over   looking   Drumcliff   bay.   It   is   in   the   townland   of   Lissadell   South,   the   Barony of   Carbury   formerly   the   túath   of   Cairbre   Drom   Cliabh.   The   house   takes   its   name   from the   Irish   placename   Lios   an   Doill   Uí   Dálaigh   or   O'Dalys   Court   of   the   Blind,   perhaps referring to the O Daly school of poetry that existed here in the 13th century. The    estate    was    formed    from    land    granted    in    the    early    17th    century    to    the Elizabethan   soldier   Sir   Paul   Gore   for   his   services   to   the   English   crown   during   the   Nine Years'    War.    The    land    was    confiscated    from    ecclesiastical    lands    belonging    to    the monastery   of   Drumcliff   and   the   Lords   of   Ó   Conchobhair   Sligigh   and   the   Ó   hAirt   chiefs of   the   territory.   The   original   seat   of   the   estate   was   at   Ardtermon   castle   a   17th-century fortified house several kilometres to the west. The   present   house   replaced   an   earlier   18th   century   house   closer   to   the   shore which   was   demolished.The   estate   was   once   32,000   acres   but   now   consists   of   less   than 500   acres,   the   immediate   demesne   of   the   house.   The   house   was   the   childhood   home   of Irish    revolutionary,    Constance    Gore-Booth,    her    sister    the    poet    and    suffragist,    Eva Gore-Booth,   and   their   siblings,   Mabel   Gore-Booth,   Mordaunt   Gore-Booth   and   Josslyn Gore-Booth.   It   was   also   the   sometime   holiday   retreat   of   the   world-renowned   poet, William Butler Yeats.
Lough Gill Attempting   to   describe   or   explain   one’s   thoughts   on   Lough   Gill’s   vast array   of   sights   and   splendour   and   its   adjoining   lands   is   a   difficult   challenge. W.   B   YeatsWilliam   Butler   Yeats   one   of   the   foremost   figures   of   20th   century literature,     spent     his     childhood     in     Sligo          (1865     –1939),     Irish     poet, dramatist,wrote    Innisfree    (The    Heathery    Isle),    in    the    lough’s    south    east corner. Ireland’s   most   illustrious   poet,   who   loved   Sligo,   the   county   of   his childhood,   affectionately   called   it   ‘The   Land   of   Hearts   Desire’,   a   sentiment arduous to disagree with. The   county’s   splendour,   archaeology   and   folklore   features   prominently in   his   early   poems,   particularly   the   outstanding   location   of   Lough   Gill,   so inspirational   to   his   poetry,   that   numerous   places   have   strong   associations   with the   renowned   Sligonian   poet.   Yeats   was   not   the   only   eminent   writer,   before or   since,      to   admire   this   locality,   ‘…a   fine   river   flows   through   the   town;   and towards   the   east,   the   banks   of   the   river   upwards   are   redolent   of   every   s   the boatman,   ‘haven’t   I   seen   meself,      the   smoke   from   the   chimneys   rising   straight up into the air?’
Benbulben Benbulbin, sometimes spelled Ben Bulben or Benbulben (from the Irish: Binn Ghulbain), is a large rock formation in County Sligo, Ireland. It is part of the Dartry Mountains, in an area sometimes called "Yeats Country". "Ben Bulben", "Benbulben", and "Benbulbin" are all anglicisations of the Irish name "Binn Ghulbain". "Binn" means "peak" or "mountain", while "Ghulbain" means beak or jaw in Irish.  The literal translation is therefore "beak" or "jaw" peak. The name is also echoed in the name of the king Conall Gulban, a son of Niall of the Nine Hostages who was associated with the mountain, however, whether he was named after the mountain or the mountain after him is not clear. A snow-capped view of Benbulbin, seen from Streedagh Strand, near Grange. Benbulbin was shaped during the ice age, when Ireland was under glaciers. Originally it was a large plateau. Glaciers moving from the northeast to southwest shaped it into its present distinct formation.
Hazelwood Wynnes Hazelwood Wynnes Lissadell Gore-Booths Lissadell Gore-Booths
2018©PJ
Lissadell Hse Kiltycahill Benbulben Lough Gill Carrowmore Hazelwood Hse Lissadell Hse Kiltycahill Benbulben Lough Gill Carrowmore Hazelwood Hse Wynne Family